Technological advancements have led to an increasing number of employees working from home: according to Fast Company, 1 in 10 employees now works from home; and although the workforce in the US grew only 3% from 2005 – 2012, the number of telecommuters increased 66%!
Working from home offers several advantages:
- Commute: Eliminating a commute allows more time to be spent on work tasks, reduces stress, and decreases fuel expenses and parking fees. Working from home full time even just 50% of the time could save 109 hours per year and $750 in fuel costs!
- Flexibility: A more flexible schedule allows employees to work when they are most productive.
- Productivity: A home office is free of distractions caused by needy co-workers, long lunches, unproductive meetings or loud office environments.
- Family: In some cases, working parents can stay at home with children or pick them up from school, reducing day care or after school program expenses.
- Comfort: Casual dress is more comfortable and less expensive in comparison to business attire.